now and zen

I haven't written here for a while because I feel too conspicuous.

I used to use this space to write in a mostly harmless not so careful playful way about some movies and some books I like. But now, since I make my living editing and writing, and work often in a freelance capacity, the prospect of a potential employer sizing up my ability to write copy for them on the basis of this material has stymied me. Not to the extent that I've taken it down and stopped writing in this form altogether, mind you. I just use different tools to write the sort of things I like to write for my friends and more anonymously for the general public. Respectively, Facebook and Twitter.

I do also have another blog where I write experimentally in a more or less intellectual capacity, though nothing that anyone would ever dare actually publish, because it is very experimental -- but I do that using a pseudonym, and very infrequently also. The rules of blogging (which i hate--as soon as something becomes popular, people start writing the rules for success in doing it) dictate one must publish frequently. Oh well. Perhaps my notion of success is different.

Why do I keep this thing, then? I entertain the notion that I could actually use it to address those potential employers. Although the prospect kind of bores me, and I resent the implication that I have to do injury to myself for the benefit of an absurd assumption (i.e. that I how I write with a personal weblog is how I write professional copy). But I don't really have time to do extra free work like that.

Anyway, I'm not sure that blogging is that interesting or viable a creative writing medium any more (mostly now for current events commentary). I'm not sure it isn't either, though.

So for the moment I remain suspended.

No comments: