Shine A Light - The Rolling Stones & Martin Scorsese

We went to see the Rolling Stones movie “Shine A Light,” directed by Martin Scorcese. It was very enjoyable. I thought it was an interesting concept Scorcese used for editing and mixing. When the movie frames some particular moment in the song, for example Keith Richard’s guitar accent, or Ron Wood’s guitar lick, the sound of the instrument is brought up in the audio mix. This gives the songs a dynamic tied to its visual representation, which is an interesting thing to do, and I enjoyed it. Mick’s vocals are mixed such that I could understand every single word he sang, which I can’t say the same for when it comes to the original recordings. Some of the song versions I liked as much, some more, and some less than the studio versions. It was quite exciting at times, but at other times, not so much.

I think the songs sung work very well regardless of when they were written. They are very big on the screen, which is funny, overwhelming and exciting all at once. It didn’t have the energy that I remember feeling from actually seeing them live, but there were certain superior benefits none-the-less.

I enjoyed the special guest bits, although I found the Buddy Guy bit uneven, and I thought that Keith Richard’s gesture at the end of the song was a bit strange.

I didn’t really have a feeling for the event that the show was originally contextualised within. It seemed a bit superfluous to me.

After the movie, I was struck by how I felt as though I’d just got back from a trip to New York. That is an agreeable feeling, even though there is a hint of nostalgia about it. Funny how a British group can cultivate and convey such a sensibility. It’s a fantasy New York, of course - but then again, how could it ever by otherwise?

No comments: